History

CHRIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

 

THEN…

Episcopalians began arriving in Lancaster County in the early 1830’s. The Reverend Robert Henry, D.D., President of South Carolina College, which became the University of South Carolina, conducted the first known service in 1853 in a private home. From this beginning, a mission congregation was organized in July of 1869. A church member donated a lot on Main Street, and The Reverend John D. McCollough, who was often referred to as the “minister-architect,” designed and built a gothic, wood framed chapel. By 1946, more space was needed for classrooms and an office. The chapel was moved to another location and enlarged. Only fifteen years later, that facility, too, was inadequate, and the present building was built on Plantation Road.

AND NOW…

Outreach has always been significant in the life of Christ Church. We support diocesan, national, international, and local charities by giving our time, talents, and treasures. Another example of our outreach would be participation in ministries such as Kairos and Epiphany. In addition, the Renewal ministries of Cursillo and Faith Alive have also been significant in the life of Christ Church. During the past two decades the music ministry of the parish has expanded and is now affiliated with the Royal School of Church Music. Under the leadership of our Parish Musician, Christ Church has a highly regarded musical reputation in our community. From regular services to choral evensong liturgies to community-wide concerts of religious and secular music, incorporating our own and guest musicians, Christ Church offers a wide variety of musical excellence. As we look to the future, we hope to continue to expand and enrich the work that began in 1853 with a small gathering of Episcopalians in Lancaster County, South Carolina.